Fall Can Be Your Friend
Typically, the best time to sell your home is during the summertime. But many people who are looking to buy in Mission Viejo look all-year long for the right house. So this fall, it’s important to showcase your home at its best, so you can get the best deal at the closing table. So our team has packed up a few home staging tips as a guideline to get the most looks at your property. Yes, we know it’s a lot of work, but you need to pack it up anyway, and this gives you a head start while increasing the value of your property
DECLUTTER the House
Need we say more? Yes! We can all become blind to the clutter around us.
- Pack up your books, clothes and personal items and place them in the garage or storage unit.
- Family photos, the kid’s artwork on the refrigerator, all of it has to go.
- Clear out your closets! Donate what you don’t wear to charity.
- Have a dim light? Exchange it for a brighter one.
- Do your doors open easily? If you’re hearing creaking, fix it.
- Hire a professional cleaning service to deep-clean your home before it’s listed.
Home Staging Tips Room by Room: Living Room
Potential homebuyers have likely seen several homes before yours. How do you make your property stand out above the rest? Space and cleanliness. The living room is usually the first room they see, so make sure it looks terrific.
- If there is a dark corner, light it up with a lamp.
- If the fireplace has seen better days, scrub it clean.
- If the room looks cluttered, remove the furniture that isn’t necessary to make it look bigger.
- Keep the room simple, with a splash of color here and there.
Yes, we know this is the room you most dread to clean. But a kitchen can sell a home or kill a deal, so it’s worth your time to invest in this arduous task.
- Box up all the dishes, flatware, cookware and glassware except one matching set.
- Have your cabinets seen better days? Think about a fresh coat of paint or stain.
- Honestly evaluate your appliances. Need a good cleaning? Need to be replaced with stainless steel?
- Scrub grime from backsplashes and cabinets.
- Clean out the pantry, leaving some empty space: makes it look bigger
- All trash cans need to be emptied and put away
The bedroom is, by nature, a personal space. However, when you are putting your home on the market, it needs to be a place where potential homebuyers can visualize it as their personal space. So that means taking care of a few things:
- Pack up all the clothes you can to make your closets look more spacious.
- Get a set of matching hangers to create a sense of balance and order in the closet.
- Take away the knick-knacks that scream male or female.
- Put your jewelry and other valuables away
- If you have a video game console in the bedroom, put it away to create some serenity
Just like the kitchen, bathrooms can get grimy, and you may not even notice it. But a potential homebuyer who walks in certainly will see it all. To get an offer on the table, consider these tasks to make your bathroom a happy place.
- Pull on those rubber gloves and let’s get some elbow grease working to de-grime the area.
- Re-caulk around the tile if needed
- De-clutter (there’s that word again) your countertop, around the tub, inside the shower.
- Throw away, pack up or store your personal products.
- Create a luxury spa feel with soft towels, candles and plants
- Make sure the toilets aren’t leaking or running
- If you have hard water stains try using vinegar to remove them
Contact The Kovacs Connection to get with a realtor who can list your home, and get it from ‘Listed’ to ‘Sold!!’
Photo Credit: Shutterstock/Spiroview Inc